Falkland Islands Cruising Guide
An online cruising guide for yachts sailing to the Falkland Islands.
The Falkland Islands are a self governing British Overseas Territory. This is disputed by Argentina as evident by the Falkland conflict of 1982 during which the UK fought successfully to retain control of the islands.
Cruising the region
Add any cruising recommendations. If not applicable delete this section.
Climate & Weather
Lying south of 50 degrees south and surrounded by the cold Falklands Current the islands have a fairly hard climate. Westerly gales are common at all times of the year and it can snow in any month. Rainfall however is relatively low, being in the order of 635 mm a year. The average temperature throughout the year is 5.6* C with a range of -6*C to 21*C and wind chill is often a factor to be considered. U/V radiation is often high while it can snow in any month of the year.
- FIBS, The Falkland Islands Broadcasting Service, gives regular weather forecasts on 530 kHz and on a number of FM frequencies including 88.3 MHz . Times are Monday to Friday - 0710, 0810, 0910, 1010, 1610,1710,1815 & 2030 LT . Saturday - 0910, 1010, 1815 and 2030 LT. Sunday 1815 and 2030 LT.
- 'FishOps' gives a maritime forecast for the FICZ on 4066.1 kHz USB at 0830 Local Time each day.
- Valparaiso ( Playa Ancha ) transmits weather faxes - the eastern limits of which include the Falklands- on 4226.1, 8675.1, and 17144.5 MHz.
- The Brazilian weather service produce synoptic charts for the SW Atlantic every 12 hours. These are available online here.
- A basic portfolio of charts should include
- BA2505 Approaches to the Falklands
- BA2512 The Falklands
- BA2536 Port William to Choiseul Sound
- BA2547 Port Salvador to Port William
- BA1614 Stanley Harbour and Approaches
Any navigation notes here. If this section does not apply remove it.
Local Radio Nets
- The Patagonian Cruisers’ Net covers yachts in Falklands waters on 8164 kHz USB at 0900 Chilean Time each day.
Also see World Cruiser's Nets.
Stanley is the only 'port of entry' for yachts. Notice of arrival and berthing intentions should be given when crossing the ‘Reporting Line’ which is between Volunteer Pt and Cape Pembroke at the eastern end of Port William. Contact in the first instance should be made with ‘Stanley Port Control’ or ‘FishOps’ on VHF Ch 16, or 10.
Upon departure a call should be made, once again, to ‘Stanley Port Control’ or ‘FishOps’ on Ch 16 when crossing the ‘Reporting Line’
If Port Control do not offer to advise Customs and Immigration of your arrival you can call ‘Stanley Customs’ on VHF ch. 12. A Customs and Immigration officer will visit the yacht for clearance on arrival. In the first instance a 4 week visa is given. At the end of the 28 days an extension can be obtained by visiting Immigration at Byron House, 3 'H' Jones Road, Stanley Phone +500 27340 . It is possible to stay in the Falklands for 12 months out of every 24.
A visa is not required if you hold one of the following passports.- Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City.
With the exception of tobacco and alcohol there is no duty or VAT in the Falklands.
Health and Security
Submit any health warnings/information. Remove any of these sections do not apply to this particular country.
As the Falkland Islands are free of Foot and Mouth disease together with many vegetable diseases there are strict bio-security laws in force.
Marinas & Yacht Clubs
Use this section only if there are marinas not covered in the pages under Ports. Remove if not applicable.
List anchorages except the ones covered under Offshore Islands below. If there is more than two paragraphs for a given anchorage, create a dedicated page for it (Port/Stop Template).
This section does not apply for most islands; if that is the case for this one remove it. You may, however, list small islands adjacent to this one or list one or two of its neighbors).
Submit addresses and contact details of marine related businesses that are of interest to cruisers.
Fuel, Water, & Electricity
- Give details on fuel
- Give details on water
- Give details on electricity
Things to do Ashore
List places of interest, tours, etc.
Grocery & Supply Stores
Motorbike & Car Rentals
- LAN operates a weekly service every Saturday between Santiago, Punta Arenas and Mt Pleasant Airport. Mt Pleasant Airport lies some 30 miles SW of Port Stanley.
- There are two flights a week to and from Brize Norton, UK, via Asenscion Island. While these are military charter flights they do carry civilian passengers.
- Members of the Falkland Islands Yacht Club can provide visiting yachts with all the information and assistance they require.
List links to discussion threads on partnering forums. (see link for requirements)
- Falkland Islands in Wikipedia
References & Publications
- South America Pilot Vol. II (NP 6) 17th (2008) edition. British Admiralty Sailing Directions. This volume covers the southern coasts of South America from Cabo Tres Puntas to Cabo Ráper, together with the Falkland Islands.
- 'Falkland Islands Shores, Ewan Southby-Tailyour, Nautical Publishing, 1985.
- 'Supplement to Falkland Island Shores', Pete and Annie Hill, RCC Cruising Foundation, 1993/94.
- 'Falkland Islands Ports and Harbours Information'. Issued by Fishery Operations and provided free upon arrival.
Last Visited & Details Checked (and updated here)
Date of member's visit to this Port/Stop & this page's details validated:
|This is a useable page of the cruising guide. However, please sail in and help it grow further - add new notes and edit/update the existing information! GRAB THE PAGE AND BUILD IT!.|
|| HOMEPAGE | Wiki Contents | South America | South Atlantic | Cape Horn | Falkland Islands ||