Marina di Ragusa
Marina di Ragusa is a small village and harbour 20 miles west of Pozzallo and 29 miles SE of Gela on the S coast of Sicily. Originally a 5th century BC Greek settlement, the village passed through Byzantine, Arab and Spanish hands until becoming part of the new Kingdom of Italy in 1860 along with the rest of Sicily. It remained a quiet fishing harbour for most of the next hundred years until the advent of tourism in the 1960s. The village had a considerable boost in July 2009 with the opening of the new Porto Turistico di Ragusa, the 723 berths of which make it easily the largest marina in Sicily.
- British Admiralty
- BA 2123 - Capo Granitola to Capo Passero
- 917 - Da Capo Rassello ad Augusta e Isole Maltesi
- M31 - Sicily
The prevailing wind on the south coast of Sicily during the summer is a SW seabreeze, which rarely gets up much above force 4-5. Most of the harbours along the south coast are liable to swell in strong southerly winds which are, however, rare outside the winter months.
Sources for weather forecasts:
- There is a continuous (computerised voice) weather forecast on VHF 68 - first in Italian and then followed with an English translation
- The same forecast is given in Italian and English on VHF coastal stations following a notification on channel 16
- Navtex weather forecasts are broadcast from stations at Roma, Cagliari (Sardinia) and Augusta (Sicily)
List popular passages/routes, timing, etc.
Also see World Cruiser's Nets.
There are no hazards in the approach. Entry to the marina is from due east in a long arc around the eastern breakwater. The entrance has a tendency to silt up so keep to the side with the red light when entering and leaving. The entrance is lit at night, red and green flashing 3 seconds. If you have not been to the marina before, radio the marina and they will send someone in an inflatable to guide you in
Marinas & Yacht Clubs
Visiting yachts berth in the new Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa, which provides 723 berths for yachts of up to 50 metres in length and maximum draft of 5.0 metres. Click on the link for separate Wiki page.
There is a small harbour at Donnalucata four miles to the SE which is only suitable for small craft. However, it is possible to anchor off in the lee of the breakwater, which affords reasonable shelter from the prevailing NW winds.
Yacht Repairs and Services
- There is a well stocked chandlery in the Marina di Ragusa:
Nonsolonautica di Carnemolle Guiseppe e Pietro s.n.c. - Via Livorno, sn (in Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa) - 97010 Marina di Ragusa - Tel. +39 0932.239491, Fax +39 0932.1856024, Cell. Pietro (Peter) +39 349 8096861 - Email - Website
- In Marina Cala del Sole - Licata: (will deliver to Marina di Ragusa)
Nautilhouse, Self Service Ship Chanlder, Coral Marine Services S.r.l. - Andrea Valenti (speaks English) - Marina Cala del Sole, 92027 Licata (AG) - Tel./fax +39 0922.1837150, Cell. +39 334.7728152 - Email - Nautilhouse and Coral Marine - Skype: coral.marine.services
Offers 20% discount to boats with a winter contract in the marina - Will deliver orders to Marina di Ragusa.
- Camping Gaz and other LPG refill: La Rosa Gas - Via Sampieri, 9 - Marina di Ragusa - TCell. +39 340.8393310 - Will pick-up and deliver to the Travel Agency located in the marina (see under Tourism.
- See Porto Turistico Marina di Ragusa.
- Davimar, Mario: Engine & mechanical maintenance
- Via Gaspanella, 31 - 97019 Vittoria (RG) - Tel./Fax +39 0932 1912565, Cell. +39 333 824.3637 - Email
- comes to the pontoons and reasonable prices.
Fuel, Water, & Electricity
Things to do Ashore
Marina di Ragusa is predominantly a beach resort and there are few other attractions. Ragusa (20 km by bus) has a fantastic old city that is worth visiting.
- Travel office/agency and tour operator Ragusana Viaggi (RAVI), also called Yacht Service - Antonio Tumino (Cell. +39 348.7412205) (Speaks English) - Via Livorno c/o Porto Turistico, 97010 Marina di Ragusa (RG) - Tel. +39 0932.615433 Fax +39 0932.230334 - Website - Email1 & Email2
Located in the marina next to the marina office.
- Serves as drop/pick-up point for gas refills,
- Organizes for the winter cruisers community several one time or weekly activities such as Shopping Day (Liedl, Ragusa, etc), travel to Art Festival, Siracusa Wine Tour, Make your Own / All You can eat Pizza, etc,
- Arranges for car and bicycle rentals,
- Provides information such as dentist, etc.
Grocery & Supply Stores
Good provisions in the village. The area is renowned for vegetable growing. There is a bakery up the stairs on the way round to the marina office
- Pizzeria Sud on the sea front is worth visiting
Wi-fi is available by buying a card from the office. There is no free wi-fi.
There is a self service laundry in the marina with two washing machines and one drier. Alternatively, the marina office can arrange for laundry to be collected and delivered back.
Motorbike & Car Rentals
- Rentals, including bicycles) can be arranged by the travel office in the marina
- Several rental outlet in town
- Parisi, Claudio (owner of the sailboat "Prodigio" located at pontoon L33)
Viale delle Americhe 105, Ragusa - Tel. +39 0932.252849 Fax. +39 0932.259099 Cell. +39 335.1218295 - Email
Has cars and small vans (6 & 9 passengers)
Bins around the marina.
- Catania airport is 90 minutes away by car. A taxi to or from the airport is €130. Alternative is to get a bus to Ragusa and then a taxi to Marina di Ragusa. Taxi part costs €40. There are buses from near the marina all the way to the airport, but only two or three times a day.
- Comiso airport is now open and is much nearer than Catania. The Marina provides free shuttle to the people having a winter contract agreement.
- Travel Service / Yacht Service at Marina di Ragusa: Email, Tel. +39 0932.615433, Cell. +39 348.7412205.
Contact details of "Cruiser's Friends" that can be contacted for local information or assistance.
List links to discussion threads on partnering forums. (see link for requirements)
- Marina di Ragusa at the Wikipedia
References & Publications
We welcome users' contributions to the Wiki. Please click on Comments to view other users' comments, add your own personal experiences or recommend any changes to this page following your visit.
Date of member's last visit to Marina di Ragusa and this page's details validated:
- Information compiled from web research and accounts by yachtsmen (please update if possible) --Athene of Lymington 17:13, 28 October 2010 (UTC)
- Updated after visiting October 2012 --Zebahdy of London
- October 2013 --s/v Seatern 06:16, 13 October 2013 (BST)
|This is a usable page of the cruising guide. However, please contribute if you can to help it grow further. Click on Comments to add your personal notes on this page or to discuss its contents. Alternatively, if you feel confident to edit the page, click on the edit tab at the top and enter your changes directly.|