South East Asia to Red Sea
You should provide a map of the of the passage with the route clearly shown. The map should be preferably well annotated and with a scale in nM (nautical miles). Place the map to the right .
Note: The exact opposite passage is covered in Red Sea to South East Asia.
Feb. 2011. Warning: - it is highly advised NOT to undertake the passage via the Gulf of Aden due to extreme pirate activity at this time.
This passage from South East Asia to the Red Sea and beyond is usually undertaken from mid December to end February to use the North East monsoon winds across the Northern Indian Ocean. The Passage plan hereunder is provided so that Cruisers can consider options to avoid problems in the Gulf of Aden in particular.
Yachts leaving Thailand often congregate in Nai Hahn Bay on the Southern Tip of Phuket Island 7° 46'29.37" North x 98°18'10.17" East, then take off from there to the Maldives or Cochin, India, to break the passage.
- Imray's Admiralty Charts
- 4071 - Indian Ocean North
- 51262 - Routing Chart for December - Indian Ocean
- 51261 - Routing Chart for January - Indian Ocean
Give expected climatic & weather conditions for this passage or refer to another page (a region or island group) that covers these conditions.
Sources for weather information:
- Fleet Numerical's surface wind model's projections for next 180 hours
- Stormsurfing's Indian Ocean wind and sea surface model
- University of Wisconsin's Satelite real time picture of Indian Ocean storm activity
- Indian Meteorological Department's Sat Image
- Oman Meteorological Department's Marine Forecast for Salalah Area
Give the best time/s of year for this passage and expected weather conditions.
Add any navigation notes such approaches, dangers etc here. If this section does not apply remove it.
Also see World Cruiser's Nets.
- Full Ship's Papers - current and complete!
- Passports with a minimum of 6 months validity
- Contact addresses of Next of Kin and other family and friends - to include Tel #s, Email Addresses etc.
- Bank and Credit card details
- Medicine prescriptions including repeat prescriptions & eyeglass prescriptions.
- Document showing known medical conditions and allergies
- Computing passwords
- Current CV.
- The 1st waypoint is Uligamu in the Northern Maldives where Diesel can be purchased and siphoned into your tanks or jerry cans : 7° 4' 26" North x 72° 55' 8" East
- The alternative waypoint to Uligamu is Male the capital in the Central Maldives where repairs can be effected and diesel can be purchased : 4° 11' 24.3" North x 73° 30' 41.8" East
- Another alternative waypoint to Uligamu is Cochin on the south west coast of India where some repairs can be effected and diesel can be purchased : 9° 58' 18" North x 76°12'43" East
- The 2nd waypoint is Salalah on the coast of Oman ; 16° 57' North x 54° 00' East, where diesel can be purchased and where yachts congregate waiting to make up flotillas before proceeding into the Gulf of Aden.
Warning: (Nov '09): The coordinates given below CANNOT be used as they now will encroach on the designated Shipping Lane. See: Gulf of Aden
- Leave Salalah - 16° 57' North x 54° 00' East
- 130 nms to>
- 1st waypoint - 15° 00' North x 53° 00' East
- 278 nms to>
- 2nd waypoint - 12° 30' North x 49° 00' East
- 178 nms to>
- 3rd waypoint - 12° 00' North x 46° 00' East
- 60nms to
- 4th waypoint - 11° 45' North x 45° 00' East
- 118 nms to
- 5th waypoint - 11° 40' North x 43° 09' East
- 7.5 nms to
- 6th waypoint - 11° 37' North x 43° 07' East Djibouti Anchorage.
Total 771.5 Nautical Miles.
Distance & Duration
- Nai Hahn Bay, Thailand to Entrance of Red Sea via Uligamu - Maldives:
- 3600nm at 5 knots non-stop = 30 days
- Nai Hahn Bay, Thailand to Entrance of Red Sea via Male - Maldives:
- 3700nm at 5 knots non-stop = 31 days
- Nai Hahn Bay, Thailand to Entrance of Red Sea via Cochin - India :
- 3700nm at 5 knots non-stop = 31 days
Minimum Lights during passage through a 3000 sq. nautical mile area bounded by the coordinates 13° 05' North <> 13° 55' North x 47° 45' East <> 48°45' East. The centre of this "Box" is at 13° 30' North x 48° 15' East, about 80nms South West of Al Mukalla - bearing from Al Mukalla 220° true. Best is an all round white at cockpit level. ie:- fishing boat lighting. (watch out for big ships, then deck-level Nav. Lights to emulate fishing boat)
List links to discussion threads on partnering forums. (see link for requirements)
- Indian Ocean Cruising Guide (2007) by Rod Heikell, ISBN 9780852889725 Publisher - Imray, Stock Code 826A
We welcome users' contributions to the Wiki. Please click on Comments to view other users' comments, add your own personal experiences or recommend any changes to this page following your visit.
Date of member's last visit to South East Asia to Red Sea and this page's details validated:
|This page has an outline in place but needs completing. Please contribute if you can to help it grow further. Click on Comments to suggest further content or alternatively, if you feel confident to edit this page, click on the edit tab at the top and enter your changes directly.|