An online cruising guide for yachts sailing to Meganisi.
|(Click links for more information)|
| ||Photo gallery|
| ||Local chartlet|
|Meganisi from Space - Click for larger view|
|View from Meganisi of Skorpios and Levkas - Click for larger view|
|SE bay, Port Spilia - Click for larger view|
- 189 Nisos Sapiénza to Nisos Paxoi
- 203 Zakinthos to Paxoi
- G11 Nísos Kérkira to Nísos Levkas
- 54280 Corfu Channel to Nisis Proti
- 2 Ionio Pelagos
- 21 Ionio Sea - Northern Part Othonoi I. to Zakynthos I.
- Coast Guard - VHF channel 12
Also see World Cruiser's Nets.
The approach to Meganisi is free of dangers, except in the approach from due N, along the E side of the island of Skorpios, where a reef, Ifalos Heiromiti, lies about half a mile due E of Skorpios’ southern extremity .
Port Spilia lies at the head of a deep cleft on the NW side of the island and contains several berthing options for visiting yachts.
Click on link for details: Port Spilia.
Click on link for details: Port Vathi.
Port Atheni lies on the NE coast of the island and is the third inlet passing E from Port Vathi. The inlet contains a quay with space for 10-12 yachts on anchor moor, a taverna pontoon and several anchorages.
Click on link for details: Port Atheni.
Marinas & Yacht Clubs
- The new Odyseas Marina in Vathi opened in 2011 and currently offers berths for 68 yachts up to 30 metres in depths up to 8.0 metres. Click on link for details.
The principal and most popular anchorages on Meganisi are along the NE coast of the island, just round the corner from the harbour of Vathi. From W to E, they are Ormos Kapali, Ormos Abelike and Port Atheni. Between them, they offer nearly 20 different coves in which a yacht can anchor moor, usually with a line ashore. The bottom is mostly mud and weed in all the inlets and good holding once your anchor is through the weed. Shelter in all three is good during the prevailing NW winds (although there is often some swell in late afternoon). Sometimes a NE land breeze will set in at night, which can be uncomfortable but is rarely dangerous. There are tavernas in the summer in Ormos Abelike and Port Atheni.
Ormos Kapali is the first inlet passing E from Vathi. It consists of a two-pronged inlet, with sandy coves at both its E and W heads. During the season, these are usually buoyed off for swimming, and it will be necessary to anchor outside the line of buoys in 6.0 – 10.0 metres, usually taking a line ashore.
Ormos Abelike is usually considered the most beautiful of the three anchorages. Once quiet and secluded, it is now busy during the summer and two tavernas have been established to cater for the numerous visitors. Depending on the wind, anchor in one of the seven different coves around the inlet and take a line ashore. Some of the coves are buoyed off for swimming during the season. In the S cove is Minas Taverna (formerly Pirate's Cove), which is worth a visit. The taverna has a small pontoon which can accommodate around three yachts in depths of 3.0 metres and offers water and electricity, 6 showers, 3 laundry machines. The N cove is the most attractive anchorage and offers the best shelter, but anchoring depths are 12-15 metres and it is very crowded here during the season. However, it has lots of useful rocks along its shores for taking stern lines. The E cove is more open but has good anchoring depths (5.0 -6.0 metres) and is often better for free anchoring as there are usually fewer yachts in here with lines ashore.
Yacht Services and Repairs
Fuel, Water, & Electricity
- Can be delivered by tanker to Port Spilia. Fuel dock in Odyseas Marina.
- On quays and pontoons in both harbours.
- On SE quay (two outlets) and Porto Spilia taverna pontoon (Port Spilia) and on E side of old harbour and full service in Odyseas Marina (Vathi).
Things to do Ashore
The old village of Spartochori, situated on a steep rocky bluff above the port of Port Spilia, is most attractive and the steep climb up to it is rewarded with magnificent views over the harbour and Skorpios island. The SE part of Port Spilia has a small shingle beach and beach café where younger members of a yacht crew can while away the hours. From Vathi, there are peaceful walks around the NE coast and inland through olive groves towards the settlement of Katomeri.
Grocery & Supply Stores
- Spilia Taverna in Port Spilia is good value, although sometimes busy with flotilla crews.
- Several good tavernas around the old harbour in Vathi.
- Laundry in Spartachori 698 1969 377 will pick up and deliver to dock 7 days.
- Odyseas Marina 1 machine
- Minas Taverna 3 machines
Motorbike & Car Rentals
Bins around the quays at both harbours and in Odyseas Marina.
Contact details of "Cruiser's Friends" that can be contacted for local information or assistance.
List links to discussion threads on partnering forums. (see link for requirements)
- Meganisi (Wikipedia)
References & Publications
See Ionian Sea.
- Meganisi is considerably more developed than when we were last here in 2005, but (so far) without spoiling its unique character. It caters pretty well for the hundreds of yachts that now visit every month, but is understandably busy in high season.--Athene of Lymington 15:54, 12 July 2012 (BST)
- We found Meganisi to be beautiful but were repeatedly bothered by wasps which seemed to infest the island in June 2011 . In Sept 2014 this was less of a problem Monterey
Last Visited & Details Checked (and updated here)
Date of member's visit to this Island & this page's details validated:
- July 1988 --Istioploos
- July 2012 --Athene of Lymington 15:54, 12 July 2012 (BST)
- Sept 2014 --Monterey
- Sept 2014 --Threshold
|This is a useable page of the cruising guide. However, please sail in and help it grow further - add new notes and edit/update the existing information! GRAB THE PAGE AND BUILD IT!.|
|| HOMEPAGE | Wiki Contents | Mediterranean | Ionian Sea | Greece | Meganisi ||